Came across this today on Wikipedia. Some highlights:
- In Bee Season by Myla Goldberg one of the subplots revolves around the conversion of a teenage boy to the Hare Krishna religion.
- On Mad TV in an episode from season 1 there is a sketch called “Krishna Rock”. The skit takes place at an airport where 4 Hare Krishna’s in orange robes are chanting and dancing when one of them decides to leave the Hare Krishna’s for a girl but ends up begging to be allowed back in the group.
- In Grand Theft Auto, the text “GOURANGA!” is displayed whenever the player runs over a group of Hare Krishnas, who are occasionally featured as pedestrians. They are again featured in Grand Theft Auto 2 as one of the gangs the player can work for.
- The Hare Krishna mantra can also be heard on Stevie Wonder’s song “Pastime Paradise” from his 1976 album “Songs in the Key of Life” in the background vocals.
- In the 1986 film Hannah and Her Sisters, Woody Allen tried to become a Hare Krishna.
Leave a Reply