— Explanation of the Maha-mantra by Srila Jiva Gosvami.
1. By His uncommon beauty, Sri Krsna Candra
takes away the mind of everyone.
However, when Sri Radha expands Her own
cleverness, She also captures Sriv
Krsna’s mind. Therefore She is called “Hara”
2. By His loveliness and by the sweet sound of
His flute, Sri Krsna, who is
decorated with the most captivating qualities,
attracts Radha. Therefore He
is called “Krsna.”
3. It has been heard from the mouths of great
souls that Lord Hari led away
the fawn-eyed Radha from the Rasa dance to
secluded bower. Therefore Radha
is called “Hara.”
4. As He sports with Radha, His blackish
effulgence causes shiny gold to
also appear blackish. Therefore He is called
5. In pursuance of the wishes of His beloved Sri
Radha, He constructed in
the forest near Govardhana a lake named
Syama-kunda and then drew the waters
of all holy bathing places there. Those who know
this call Him “Krsna.”
6. By Her unsurpassed love, Sri Radha attracts
Him who is the performer of
wonderful pastimes to the Vrndavana forest on the
banks of Yamuna River.
Those of steady intellect therefore call Him
7. One day while Krsna was in Vrndavana, He
killed the demon Arista, who was
disguised as a bull. At that time Radh
a affectionately called out to Him “O
Hari!” Therefore She is known as “Hara.”
8. Sometimes due to excessive love, Sri Radha’s
voice becomes faint when She
sings the glories of Sri Krsna’s pastimes.
Therefore those who are expert in
discerning spiritual sentiments call Her “Hara.”
9. Once, in the forest of Vrndavana, Sri Krsna
dropped His flute due to the
intense experience of loving sentiments. All that
time Radha snatched up His
flute. Therefore She is called “Hara.”
10. Once Sri Krsna put His arms around Sri Radha,
took Her into a bower
shaped like one of the caves at Govardhana Hill
and there enjoyed with Her.
Therefore He is called “Rama”.
11. Everyday the most merciful Sri Radha bestows
(rati) happiness upon
Krsna. Therefore She is called “Hara.”
12. The minds of the devotees always find
pleasure in Sri Krsna, who is an
ocean of transcendental bliss. Therefore that
beautiful dark form of Krsna
is called “Rama.”
13. Radha is called Rama because She enjoyed
Acyuta through loving pastimes
in a forest pavilion made of flowering creepers.
Because Krsna is with that
Rama, He is called “Rama”.
14. When all of Gokula was filled with wailing
because of a forest fire, Sri
Krsna extinguished it, thus greatly pleasing the
Vrajavasis. Therefore He is
15. Sri Krsna went to Mathura to kill the demons
headed by Kamsa. By Her to
enjoy confidential pastimes with Krsna, Sri Radha
brought Krsna back to
Vrndavana. Therefore She is called “Hara”.
16. When Sri Krsna came back to Vrndavana, He
took away the suffering of the
Vrajavasis and by His wonderful pastimes
captivated Radha’s mind. Therefore
the son of Nanda is called “Hari”.
Translated by Bhakti-vaidurya Madhava Swami